October…Crisp autumn breeze…Changing of the leaves…Halloween…and…my Uncle’s Favorite Cupcakes! Although they are his favorite year round, Apple Butter Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are an all-time favorite of many family and friends this time of year! Once you try them, they will be a favorite of yours too!
Apple Butter Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
1 box yellow or spice cake mix
1 box pumpkin spice jello pudding (seasonal)
1 cup apple butter
1 cup apple cider
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cups in each of the 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix cake mix, pudding, eggs, apple butter, apple cider, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Fill cups two-thirds full of batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes are set and bounce back when gently touched. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely, about 20-30 minutes.
3. In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat softened butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.
4. Add in vanilla and cinnamon, then powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add more powdered sugar as needed until frosting is a thick, spreadable consistency.
5. When cupcakes are cooled, spoon frosting on tops of cupcakes, or fill decorating bag fitted with star tip, and create decorative swirls. Optional: add a sprinkle of cinnamon or decorate with a candy corn.
6. Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.
7. The most important direction of all…Enjoy!
Don’t forget to share the recipe with family and friends so they can also enjoy the fresh autumn taste of the season!