Pie makes me happy. But I do NOT like pies that require lots of washing, peeling, and chopping, so I created this perfect fruit pie. As with all of my food inventions, it meets my criteria of easy, delicious, and nutritious.
(P.S. I wrote the quantities and organic/non-gmo details based on what I was able to find in the grocery stores. I could not use all frozen berries because that produces too much liquid. This pie is a little “liquid-y” as it is, but I like making it this way because it’s easy! :)
1 package 9″ Ready-to-Bake Pie Crusts (2 doughs in 1 package)
3- 6 ounce containers organic blackberries
3- 6 ounce containers organic raspberries
1- 16 ounce bag frozen non-gmo cherries
1 tablespoon Organic Unrefined Cold-Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil
3/4 cup Organic Unrefined Coconut Sugar
3 tablespoons Arrowroot Starch/Flour
1. Take dough out of refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. Rinse non-frozen fruit in a colander and then place all fruit into a large mixing bowl.
4. Microwave oil for 30 seconds in small bowl. Add sugar and arrowroot to the oil and mix well.
5. Pour over fruit and mix well.
6. Carefully roll out one dough on a cutting board and widen with a rolling pin. Place on the bottom of a deep 9″ pie dish.
7. Using a large slotted spoon, fill pie dish evenly with fruit mixture. Discard remaining juice so the pie does not become soggy.
8. Carefully roll out the second dough on a cutting board and widen with a rolling pin. Place over the top of the berries. Fold the edge of the top dough under the edge of the bottom dough and pinch to seal.
9. Using a knife, place a few slits in the top crust.
10. Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes.
11. Change oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 40 minutes.
Happy Pie Day!!!!
Andrea Graye :)