Of course, all of you know how hectic it is on Christmas morning. Opening presents, opening stockings, making Christmas greeting phone calls, and getting dressed for the big day! Then you have to worry about getting a good breakfast into everyone to make it through the big day! Also, you just never know how long it will be before you get that Christmas dinner! So, when my children were young, I would make this wonderful, warm, fruity, and nutritious breakfast ahead of time! Made the day just that much cozier! Mmmmmm!!
Overnight French Toast
5 eggs, beaten
¾ cup skim milk
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 thick slices
1 bag (20 oz.) frozen whole cherries
4 ripe bananas, sliced
½ cup honey
1 packet stevia
3 dashes of ground cloves
1 tablespoon apple pie spice OR 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ¾ teaspoons ground nutmeg, and ⅜ (little more than ¼) teaspoon ground allspice
- In medium size bowl, with large spoon, mix eggs, milk, baking powder, and vanilla extract.
- Place cut bread in a large bowl, and pour mixture over bread to soak.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, mix together frozen cherries, bananas, honey, stevia, ground cloves, and apple pie spice.
- Pour fruit mixture into a 9 x 13 pan or glass baking dish and top with soaked bread.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and granulated sugar.
- Bake in 450° oven 20 to 25 mins. (If using glass baking dish, adjust oven temperature to 425 degrees.)
Auguri stagionali! (Seasons Greetings!)
Dio ti benedica! (God Bless you!)