Whenever I’m seated at a dinner and asked if I want gravy, I have no idea what to say. What IS gravy, exactly? What is IN it? Should I view this as the curse of never wearing mini skirts again, or is this the delectable treat my life’s been missing? I consulted our Wellness Contributor, Tara Felice, and Little Mama and this is what I found out:
- Gravy is NOT bad for you IF it is made correctly.
- You want to avoid using corn starch that is genetically modified, hormone-filled heavy cream, salty, hormone-filled butter, and non-organic spices.
Here is the gravy recipe we created based on the ground rules (I’m noting that Tara does NOT add spelt flour because she likes to keep things gluten-free. I like flour.) IT IS DELICIOUS:
2 tablespoons extra virgin avocado oil
1 chopped local or organic yellow onion
2 cups total turkey drippings + Organic Free Range Chicken Bone Broth
1/4 cup Sprouted Spelt Flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1. In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, cook onions in avocado oil until browned and soft.
2. Add flour and only 1/2 cup of drippings/bone broth mix. Whisk until blended well.
3. Add remaining drippings/bone broth mix.
4. Add black pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Mix well.
5. Continue cooking on medium-high heat until thickened (approximately 5-10 minutes).
HAPPY THANKSGIVING (AND Happy Gravy Eating)!
Andrea Graye :)