This article stems from when I was making my One-Pot Wonders: Holiday Leftovers! recipe, which calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup. I made my own cream of mushroom soup recipe because I wanted a healthier alternative. It was so easy and fun to make that I would like to share it with you!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons onions, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used shiitake.)
2-3 tablespoons flour
1 can (14.5 ounces) fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Pink Himalayan.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium heat.
2. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are soft.
3. Blend in 2 tablespoons of flour and stir.
4. Add in the broth and heat until the soup is slightly thickened, while stirring frequently.
5. Stir the milk, additional 1 tablespoon of flour, and the seasonings together in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the soup in the saucepan.
6. Heat to thicken, while stirring frequently (about 10 minutes).
Grab some sourdough bread for dipping and enjoy!
Dio ti benedica! (God bless you!)