If you haven’t noticed already, Christmas trees are being sold at every lot, corner, and Christmas tree farm as far as the eye can see! And…little did you know, those are the best places to….’take a bough’! Evergreen bough that is…let me explain.
Whether you are using a real tree or not, visit one of the places above, and ask for some evergreen boughs that have been trimmed off the trees. I’m sure they will be more than happy to give away some trimmings that were pruned off the trees. Or, you might have a pine tree in your own yard to prune. Now, ‘It’s time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough’! (Lyric from the song ‘We Need a Little Christmas’)
Using evergreen boughs is a simple way to decorate your now empty containers or planters, door, fireplace mantle, or stair handrail. You don’t have to be crafty to tie a couple of boughs together, add a bow, and jingle bells, and hang it on your door.
Every year I make my own wreath with evergreen boughs. Here are the easy steps:
- Tie your evergreen boughs to a Wire Wreath Frame using Green Floral Wire.
- Using the green floral wire, add Pine Cones, ornaments, Ribbon, and a Bow.
With my planters, containers, or urns, I make the following festive decoration that can be used outdoors on your porch or balcony, or indoors next to your fireplace or anywhere else you need things to look festive!:
- Stick some boughs upright in the container, or lay them flat on your planter, letting the boughs drape over the side .
- Add pine cones, ornaments, ribbon, and bows to those too!
Stockings aren’t the only thing that can hang over your fireplace mantle….Here are a few more things you can decorate it with:
- Layer the evergreen boughs across it. You just need to protect the surface first from the pine sap that might be on the boughs. Yes, there might be sap, so protect anything that you don’t want ruined…and wear gloves.
- Add a String of Lights, or place some Flameless Pillar Candles or Flameless Candle Lanterns on your mantle among the evergreen boughs. Then the sight and the smell of Christmas will come alive!
One last idea for decorating with boughs is to tie them to your stair handrail with the green floral wire. Add a string of lights to these too!
There is nothing like the smell of an evergreen tree to put you in the Christmas spirit! So….go out on a limb and take a bough!
Have a very Merry Christmas!