February may be the shortest month of the year (and one of the coldest in New York), but Valentine’s Day brings many out to shop for a special gift for their loved ones. This year consider baking something from the heart instead. This is a quick and easy vanilla cupcake recipe that can be made any time of year to show your love to those who are special in your life! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box vanilla pudding
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup salted butter, softened (1 stick)
1 – 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
3 – 4 tablespoons milk
3 – 4 cups powdered sugar
Cupcake and Frosting Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cups in each of the 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the cake mix, pudding, eggs, water, and vegetable oil until blended and smooth. Fill cups two-thirds full of batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes are set and bounce back when gently touched. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely, about 20 to 30 minutes.
3. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat softened butter on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape the bowl occasionally.
4. Add in vanilla and milk. Then, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Beat 1 minute before adding the next cup of powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar, as needed, until frosting is a thick, spreadable consistency. If frosting is too thick, add additional milk 1 teaspoon at a time.
5. When cupcakes are cooled, fill a decorating bag fitted with a star tip and create decorative swirls. Optional: Add sprinkles (pink, red, and/or white for Valentine’s Day) or a fanned, cut strawberry as garnish!
6. Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.
Don’t forget to share this heart-warming and delicious recipe with family and friends! Enjoy!